The amount of blogs on Canadian copyright law have increased both in quantity and quality over the past few years and most of us have our favourites. However, before examining interpretations and opinions on Canadian copyright law, I recommend that you first read the Copyright Act itself and some of the many important court cases intrepreting Canadian copyright law.
Below are primary resources on Canadian copyright law that were helpful in writing Canadian Copyright Law, Fourth Edition as well as posts on this blog related to these resources. Use this list as a starting point and add further resources that engage you.
Canadian Copyright Act
Canadian Government Sites Relating to Canadian Copyright Law
Heritage Canada has information on the history of Canadian copyright law, publications, a glossary and more. It also has a microsite on the Copyright Modernization Act (the most recent amendments to the Canadian Copyright Act.)
The government office responsible for copyright registrations is Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO). CIPO also provides general information on Canadian copyright law. Also see blog post: How to Obtain Permission to Use Canadian Government Content.
Supreme Court of Canada Copyright Cases
Supreme Court of Canada (SCC) cases: The following list shares some important Supreme Court of Canada cases interpreting Canadian copyright law.
- Cinar Corporation v. Robinson, 2013 SCC 73, Date: 20131223 (See blog post: Copyright in the Supreme Court of Canada in December 2013: Cinar v. Robinson.)
- Alberta (Education) v. Canadian Copyright Licensing Agency (Access Copyright), 2012 SCC 37, Date: 20120712
- CCH Canadian Ltd. v. Law Society of Upper Canada, 2004 SCC 13, Date: 20040304
- Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada v. Canadian Assn. of Internet Providers, 2004 SCC 45, Date: 20040630
- Robertson v. Thomson Corp., 2006 SCC 43, Date 20061012
- Théberge v. Galerie d’Art du Petit Champlain inc., 2002 SCC 34, Date: 20020328
World Intellectual Property Organization
The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) administers several copyright treaties to which Canada belongs.
Canadian Copyright Law Questions
Copyright Qs & As on Canadian Copyright Law. This is a forum where you can see various questions and answers and post your own questions.